On Friday Apple released a security update for iOS devices.
Their brief bulletin states that the “Secure Transport failed to validate the authenticity of the connection.”
This vulnerability leaves users of affected devices open to a man-in-the-middle attack by which a hacker could potentially intercept, decrypt and alter communication being made over SSL connections using Apple’s SecureTransport library.
The affected system versions are Continue reading Apple’s SSL/TLS goto fail bug
In this post I have collected some of the sharing URLs for some popular Chinese websites.
The WordPress Jetpack Sharing Feature allows you to add custom sharing services in addition to the standard set provided. For those promoting a site which will reach a potentially global audience, you may want to add sharing links some foreign SNS services.
Weibo (微博 – Wēi bó) is a Chinese word for micro-blogging. Continue reading How To Add Chinese Social Media Sharing Links in WordPress Jetpack Sharing
From 10g onwards Oracle has had a type of join called a Partitioned Outer Join, providing a convenient syntax which can be used to fill gaps in sparse data.
The documentation describes the result of a partitioned outer join as “a UNION of the outer joins of each of the groups in the logically partitioned table with the table on the other side of the join.”
To demonstrate what this means in practice, I will run through a simple example.
We will start with two very simple tables, products and sales, which look like this:
Continue reading Partitioned Outer Joins in Oracle
Another overly late iOS7-related post; this time it’s about the default bookmarks in Safari.
I updated to iOS7 the day it was released to the public. Like many others I sat there clicking Update in iTunes for a good two hours before getting through to to the server. Another hour and a phone reboot later and I was looking at the iOS7 that I’d already played with in beta…
But, imagine my surprise when I opened Safari and was presented with this:
Continue reading iOS7 Safari default bookmarks in Chinese?
Is your iPhone using the correct default font for Japanese text?
Today I want to tell you about a little quirk of the system which I encountered when playing with iOS7.
With successive releases of iOS, Apple occasionally add new fonts to the system. Aside from app developers, it is something to which most of us are probably oblivious. There aren’t that many apps where a user has the need or opportunity to select a font (iBooks being an exception). Probably the majority of developers opt to stick with the default system font, which offers a clean and simple look and ensures their UI looks and feels like it belongs on the platform.
I don’t know if this was the case in earlier iOS versions, but there are currently different default system fonts used for each out of Chinese, Japanese and Korean.
When an iPhone displays Chinese, Japanese or Korean text, it will begin by looking in the current system default font for the required character. If it doesn’t find it, then it seems to fall back to the default system font specific to the language with which that character is primarily associated.
The default system font is changed when switching between the three languages, and because all three fonts contain the Japanese Hiragana and Katakana characters, Japanese text will appear different when the iPhone system language is set to Chinese or Korean.
All pretty straightforward so far, but… if you happen to be using your phone to display Japanese text, while the system default language is set to anything other than Chinese, Japanese or Korean, which font does it choose?
Continue reading iOS7 fonts used for Japanese text
UTL_FILE.GET_RAW fails on long lines if the file is opened in text mode.
Today while debugging a previously developed PL/SQL package, I had to investigate an ORA-29284: file read error.
The cause was not immediately apparent, as the procedure had been reading in and parsing other files ok, and had read in this particular file just fine up until it reached a certain point.
The file being read was text rather than binary, but the code was using GET_RAW not GET_LINE since the process was not interested in line breaks. With a little investigation, it turned out that the place where the error occurred was when the procedure began trying to read from a line which was 175,000 characters long.
If you’ve used the functions in UTL_FILE, then you’ll know that functions like GET_LINE support a maximum line size and buffer size of 32767 bytes. However in this case, the call to GET_RAW was specifying a much smaller number of bytes to read. So why did it fail? Continue reading ORA-29284 File Read Error with UTL_FILE.GET_RAW
Some time ago I had a situation where I needed to include a dependency within one of my web projects for which there existed only platform specific DLLs (x86 or x64, no AnyCPU version). The project itself was built and deployed as AnyCPU, and I had no intention of changing to platform specific 32bit and 64bit versions.
By attaching to the AppDomain.AssemblyResolve event, it is possible to provide your own method for locating and loading code to satisfy a given dependency. In this example the need was to substitute different platform specific copies of the same assembly depending on whether the process was launched in a 32 bit or 64 bit environment. However there is the opportunity to perform more complex implementations such as loading an assembly from a byte array or generating a dynamic assembly.
Continue reading Platform specific assembly resolve